Monday, July 23, 2007

Get diesel. But first get a car that moves.



"This is my body. And I can do whatever I want to it. I can push it. Study it. Tweak it. Listen to it. Everybody wants to know what I'm on. What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass six hours a day.
What are you on?"

East European trainers would slap my wrist (and that's getting off easy) for lumping together a period of "training to train" and "training to compete", but with about 4 weeks to go until my varsity field hockey try outs, the brave Mr.Mike Robertson has graciously accepted my clientship and the task of helping me turn this rusty old thang into a healthy, humming Ferarri. Ok, more like a used girls 8-speed bike with some fancy mods and "underglow". As always, my body has opted for the most unsexy possible sounding ailments. I never thought I would outdo Femoral Anterior Glide Syndrome (FAGS) but something about "Lordosis" reminds me of the pie eating contest in Stand By Me. So, off with its head and on with the show.

My return to school and sport this September marks a really great shift in my life, complete with the necessary growing pains that have allowed me to emerge from a period of anxiety, depression and limiting beliefs into a life where I can pursue my passions with balance, sustainability and sass!

There are a few people without whose glow and belief I could not have come this far. Eternal thanks to my Mom, Simmi and Dd who have redefined the words "unconditional" and "love", to Dave for believing in me always, to my best friends Teen, Robin and Rob for helping me to understand true friendship. Thank you to Allison Wood, who taught me to look to myself for all that I need in life, to Terry Lee for her guidance and perspective on well-being, to Cathy and Pardeep for breathing friendship and faith back into hockey for me and lastly, to Dr.Lonnie Lowery and (almost)Dr.Cassandra Forsythe(almost)Pribanic for so graciously investing time and knowledge to help me plan for the road ahead. I could not ask to be surrounded by a better group of individuals than these!

I also encourage you to check out Robertson Training Systems to learn more about Mike Robertson, who will be my distance coach for the next few months as we work through the biomechanical nitty-gritty and fine tune the machine for optimal performance.

So welcome to this space. It functions as a training log so that Mike can check in and crack the proverbial coaching cue whip if needed. Its purpose however, is to extend my environment for success just a little bit futher.. and to make you all privy to lunch descriptions, cool reading (other peoples) and observations left otherwise unshared regarding the world around me at this magical age of 24.

Let's boogie!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is awesome!

You are a great writer, and I can't wait for more.