Monday, July 30, 2007

More on "More on Role Models" (Moron Role Models?)

Sometimes I need to be a bit "heavy handed" while managing my thoughts. Though I gleaned a record number of unrelated ideas during my morning walk, it was actually the reading that accompanied my breakfast that roused my alertness like a big stir-stick for in my inner-coffee.

My good friend Cassandra Forsythe wrote a follow up post to a previous blog entry about Role Models. The actual content of her post wasn't the impetus for this blurb, but more the head-tilting-ness of reading about role models on the blog of one of my very own role models! (The mention of "moron" is in refence to unrealistically portrayed women on magazine covers, as mentioned in Cass' blog.)

Role models are such an underrated component of success. I implore anyone with a dream to seek out the person who best emulates the qualities and experiences that you desire for yourself and get in touch with him/her. I've never had to look far, as my Mom and sisters have brought so many bold dreams to life, that the "anything is possible" mantra (so cleverly taught to me while I was still learning the ways of the potty) has remained always in the back of my mind. Lately this message seems to have branded itself into my cerebral cortex (much to the dismay of other neural activities) and reminded me to reach out and find those people who are emulating any part of what I want from myself or in life.

Most noteably, from my sisters, I am grateful to have developed a strong awareness of community and social conscience. Observing them helped me to develop a certain brand of diplomatic critical thinking that allowed me to learn more acceptingly about the perspectives that aren't always aligned with my own. They also steered me away from most things uncool, enabling me to appear "advanced" in my tastes for music, books and food..when in reality, I was just monkey-seeing, monkey-doing.

Anyways, had to get in a plug for Simmi and Dd and Mom just because they really are my biggest role models, but what about those dreams and goals that fall outside of anything you or your family has ever done? What then?

Whatever it is that you want, that you aspire to - research it, learn it and live it. Whether it is an academic, a celebrity, an athlete, a writer or just someone in your community who you admire, email/write/contact them and tell them! Invite them to coffee, offer your help in their activities or just let them know who you are and then let magic begin..

I can't say enough about people like Cassandra, Dr.Lowery and Terry Lee. Find your passion, find your people and make it happen. Like a magnet, north and south are no match for the magnetism between like-minded people. So venture across time zones, area codes and convention, seek out the people you admire, tell them why you do and ask them to play a role in your dream. I have witnessed these relationships flourish in to full out friendships and feel that the repeated message to seek out mentors (from Berardi, Waterbury, Eric Cressey and countless others) is some of the best advice out there.

And the best part of all? One day someone will seek you out in turn and so goes the circle of life and learning...

6 comments:

Cassandra Forsythe said...

Jaya,
I agree with you, if selected correctly, role models can make all the difference in your world. However, some women think that magazine cover models are those that they should aspire to be like. But, as we know, few of them are real.

Thank you for believing in me btw - sometimes it's hard to think that other women look up to me, when I feel that I'm still growing up.

Can't wait to meet you one day; your brain is amazing. :)

plant lady said...

So will you have coffee with me. :)
Diana

Janet said...

Hi Jaya - thanks for visiting my blog and commenting... I love discovering new blogs that way... and we're both from Ottawa!!

Jaya said...

Cass - you're so easy to believe in! Even if someone could find a reason (though totally impossible) I'm sure you could just win them over with some of that hot little jello/whipping cream number you mentioned...
We'll definitely meet soon! I'm hoping against hope to be in MTL for the October Seminar but we'll see.

Jaya said...

Diana, I'd have carrot-freaking-cake with you!

Jaya said...

Janet, though I haven't gotten to it yet, I'm an absolute fool for healthy foody goodies. I'll be posting those soon too!
Too cool that you're in Ottawa as well :D