How do you say cabbage in french? Cabbaaaahhge.
Well, we aint cookin no french food round here today, but we are making some really delicious cabbage! As a child, I was never a picky eater (or so says me Ma) but I would credit my Mom's magical way with vegetables for this odd phenomenology among her kids. Honestly, it's no wonder to me that getting children to eat bland vegetables is a challenge, because my experience with vegetables has only ever been flavourful and fun. I don't think I could have ever stomached cabbage if it weren't for this recipe - a childhood favourite.
And no, I'm not getting married off. This sudden increase in the Indian food department of my cooking repertoire is really just a reflection of a lonnnngtime desire to take part in the legacy of beautiful, healthy and festive meals that have defined family life for us.
Here we go..
Fragrant Cabbage with Toasted Mustard Seed (more colloquially known as "that cabbage" around here)
Ingredients:
-1/4 head of cabbage, chopped
-1.5 T olive oil (or cooking oil of choice)
-1/2 Jalapeno pepper, quartered (or substitute 1 whole dried red chili)
-1 whole dried red chili
-3/4 tsp mustard seeds
-teeeeny pinch of asophoteida AKA heeng - found at any Indian grocer (kind of like an onomatopoeia, but not at all the same)
-1T salt (or more if you please)
Method:
1. Heat oil in pan and add asophoteida and jalapeno (or red chili) pepper
2. Ensure that oil is hot and then add mustard seeds and additional red chili pepper.
3. When mustard seeds start to "tink tink" and defy gravity by leaping out of pan, throw the cabbage on top (onomatopoeia...again!)
4. Sprinkle with salt, reduce heat to medium, cover and cook for 10 mins.
5. When cabbage is slightly transluscent, tender and fragrant, remove from heat and serve.
I ate mine with the last of that awesome tandoori chicken breast and some immigrant salad. If your parents were immigrants, you know what I'm talking about.. cucumber and tomato with salt and pepper. So simple, so good.
I know, not the sassiest dinner on paper...but oh so delicious...
Quick life update: My morning HR is up a bit, my throat is sore and my nose is plugged (but monitoring situation closely). Manski presents (and defends) his thesis tomorrow (so proud of you)! Classes are going great. Tournament in Waterloo this weekend. I really need some sleep, like, 1 hr ago.
Warm thoughts to everyone!
Edit: This is also going to be my contribution to this month's "Think Spice...Think Mustard Seed" event! Check it out:
http://sunitabhuyan.blogspot.com/2007/08/my-monthly-event-think-spice-think.html
2 comments:
Hey Jaya - I think this is turning into a food blog, and I'm not complaining! Looks great
(Looks around) who, me?
:)
Post a Comment