I do realize that my posts are punctuated by weeks (if not months), but my intentions remain sincere!
Having explored the exercise and fitness links, I have to confess my bias toward the latter half of the links, where (for me at least) the magic happens! Most of these sites feature healthy cuisine, but bear in mind that my equation for healthful eating is derived more from an idea of nourishment than "nutrition" (a distinction that is the current lovechild of my academic and recreational writing).
The cosmologically choreographed timing of this post couldn't be better: most of us need some respite from baked goods, salty treats and the sweet and savoury goodness of the holidays. If, like me, you enjoyed to within inches of your threshold, then you have no regrets but perhaps feel a bit more inclined toward say, cabbage and salmon, than cookies and truffles.
It is with great pleasure that I share these links; mostly food blogs written by people who value whole, real foods and the sanctity of their nutrients and flavors. Please bear in mind that while the mission of the kitchen generally results in some form of output, the process should, above all, be dictated by fun.
101 Cookbooks is a site that I frequent for vegetarian recipes with the most unlikely and charismatic flavor combinations. Writer and photographer Heidi Swanson couples dreamy and smart writing with nutritious and inventive recipes. This holiday, I made Heidi's adorable gingerbread cookies. The only thing more endearing than a gingerbread cookie, is a gingerbread cookie on a stick! Just when you think she's reached the brink of creativity, she churns out another surprise!
Cindalou takes recipes that are everything-free and somehow wont for nothing! I especially loved her Applesauce Raisin Spice muffins. I have probably made hundreds by now, adding in all kinds of extras like goji berries, shredded coconut, even dark chocolate! They are too easy and delicious to be true.
Dani Spies writes about food with a voice that is so colloquial, comical and down-to-earth that it is nearly impossible not to love her (and her recipes). Probably the best feature of this site is the how-to videos. Dani often posts videos to accompany her recipes in which her passion for food, nutritional expertise and lively spirit really shine through.
Elena's Pantry features gluten-free recipes that look and taste so gourmet, and yet hardly require any ingredients. In particular, her baking, featuring mostly coconut and almond flour, and sweetened with agave looks amazing! My favourite recipe from her site is definitely her Community Supported Spinach Cake, but I recommend you try any and all!
Kalyn's Kitchen began as an initiative to share and exchange South Beach Diet recipes, but has evolved into an incredible resource for healthy recipes (in general) and great gardening tips; an excellent way to eat fruits, vegetables and herbs in-season. I often make her Roasted Butternut Squash with Moroccan Spices, even subbing in sweet potatoes for squash on occasion. Kalyn has categorized her recipes in the neatest, most accessible way. I think she would be the perfect roommate!
LiveWell360 is the brilliant site of Sheila Viers. From a 30-day oatmeal challenge, in which Sheila presents 30 delicious and healthy and sometimes savory ways to eat oatmeal, to motivational articles, this site glows with an almost youthfully optimistic approach to vibrant health. Sheila has an impressive arsenal of great recipes; often "makeovers" (or makeunders, as the case may require) of popular dishes.
Rice of Life is like a long, relaxing exhalation. You can't help but feel more self-accepting and empowered after reading each post. Filled with beautiful, nourishing recipes and all kinds of insight and postulations on what it means to really live, breathe and be yourself, I can't help but love this blog! The author, Ameet, is a cooking instructor and holistic health practitioner who is not afraid to tackle some of the more hushed (but significant!) topics in discussions of health.
Sunita's World is where I head when I need some great Indian recipes. Sunita writes with such a gentle and wondrous tone of voice, that it's hard not to fall in love with her family, her life and her food. A staple in my recipe collection is her Chicken Spaghetti Soup; a perfect use for Soba (buckweat) noodles! Whether you are looking for traditional Indian (and Assamese) recipes or some rad fusion fare, stop by for an otherworldly peek.
All of the links posted in the Kitchen on a Mission section boast some special feature, but the ones I've mentioned in this post have all contributed to my culinary repertoire and/or the health of my self-concept. The extravagance of sharing food, culture and imagery is one that each of these people enjoys with humour, diligence and joy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Great blog Jaya. Glad I stumbled across it and I'll keep tuning in. You might dig mine as well:
http://fullblastblog.blogspot.com/
Best,
-mt
Aiee! Good blog list, and I'm happy that I subscribe to most of them already.
I'm glad you've made it back safe and sound, I can't wait till there is another Jaya visit!
Happy New Year!
I'm honored to be on the list with these great blog! Thanks for the mention.
Hi Jaya,
You are too sweet! Thank for your kind words and recognition of Rice of Life. It likes you too! :)
I've got so many new blogs to check out (including your own).
-Ameet
I'm honored, Jaya!! Thanks for the kind words and thanks all the blog links! Believe it or not, there are a few that you have listed that I am not familiar with (jeesh, just when I thought I had most of the good ones covered [just kidding]). Anyhow, you have inspired me to update my blog link... something I have been wanting to do for way too long.
Hope you are well!
I just took a lovely tour of your food blog links - love them all! My family is housebound today due to the New England weather - no school - no work today. I so enjoyed spending a little time in the wonderful world of nutrition, cooking and baking. Everyone in your list has something unique to contribute.
Marshall - Thanks for stopping by. Your Muscle Masala project looks fantastic and dig your blog, I certainly do.
Mel - I miss you! Armed with your CSA basket, I think you can take on the world this year.
Kalyn - My pleasure. Thanks for inspiring me to commit to a slower and more thoughtful way of cooking and growing.
Ameet - There is certainly no shortage of good writing or good people on the net. We are both endeavoring to get published this year, so good luck to us!
Dani - I've sent your "Basic Knife Skills" video to a lot of my kitchen-rookie friends. You do great work!
Cyndi - Sounds like a great way to spend a day. I love food and photography, but my plate is so full (no pun intended) that I need to live vicariously through other people's blogs!
Thank you Jaya, for your kind words...I'm flatttered...loved all the other links you've mentioned.
Hope you had a wonderful start to the new year :-)
Post a Comment