So, let's all leave our berets at the door. Grab a cup of something delicious to drink and let's talk shop, ladies and gentlemen.
I have faced the injury demon before, but something I have learned (through unfortunately too much experience) is that the more you "battle" and vilify your injuries, the harder it is to heal. But pure recovery aside, I think that for a lot us (myself certainly included) is contending with inactivity and the feeling of lethargy - maybe even a modest snugness of the jeans - and feeling OK with that. Now that, my friends, is tough(er) stuff.
I can tell you this: as recently as a year and a half ago, I would have let this injury turn into an excuse to regiment my eating (to offset the caloric surplus from rest) and felt powerless over my body. It is so easy feel that way! In fact, I think that is exactly the way to emerge from an injury none the wiser :/
As Jenna mentioned in her post, active or not, a great quality of life is worth the extra couple of lbs you might gain. I could not agree more. Sure, I feel a bit "closer" to my jeans after 2 weeks of no exercise, but I also feel like continuing to eat great, nourishing food and occasional treats in good company is a blessing. I feel that telling myself that I should somehow restrict my food intake is like punishing my body when what it needs most is care! Sure, I often wish that I could get out for a long, sweaty yoga session or a heart-pounding session in the weight room, or even just a nice long walk, but I (sometimes with difficulty, other times without) remind myself that the real rewards of rest require patience.
You know, I live with someone who has fairly significant energy needs and from time to time, I forget that I have my own metric for fullness and just eat alongside him until well beyond my comfort zone. When I am training 2x a day and competing on weekends, eating beyond my limit is no better/less deceptive than doing so when I am mostly inactive. The point I am making is that I have always been able to justify making food choices based on my activity level, but now I want to continue to make choices based on my moment-to-moment needs. I realize how floofy that sounds, but much like my deliberate non-diet leading up to my wedding, I am similarly choosing to acknowledge the challenge of viewing food and body in the present moment and not letting exogenous variables (like intensity of exercise) dictate my choices, or override my intuition. In fact, I am taking a cue from Miss Jenna and making a conscious choice (yet again) not to change anything about my way of living that feels good in the best of times. So yes, I am definitely still eating oats in a jar, at every possible opportunity!
This won't be easy (not the oats - I could eat those at every meal, I am talking about the metaJaya stuff), but I am really committed to emerging from my injury empowered. It is hard to abstain from what you love, but it is even worse to spend that time lamenting your circumstances. I am really proud of myself for moving through these weeks (and the 2 weeks ahead before I can do any exercise) with a heart full of self-love. Of course there are times when I wonder if I should have eaten something really treaty, or when I think that I should have just had more veggies, but I continue to return to a great lesson from my friend Alison: true health is being able to find balance and knowledge within you, when everything around you feels upside down. Another question I can turn to when I feel a bit turbulent inside is, "how would I care for a child in this situation?" This usually (but not always!) saves me from overeating, under eating or mindless eating.
It used to be that since sport was the focal point of my life, when it was down, my whole self and life felt down. Now, I feel that this is just a small set back that affects a small part of what I do and how I spend my time, and not only does it provide me with more time and energy for loved ones, school, leisure, etc., but whether I emerge from my injury at +/- 5lbs, I will not have sacrificed any of the special moments that helped me get through it. Does that mean eating all of the sweets in sight? No. It means not missing out on celebrating life with the best quality of food possible, and surrounded by great people.. whether that means sharing carrot sticks or carrot cake! Being good to your body on a daily basis means (by definition and extension) that you never have to "off-set" or "compensate for" anything! Erm, I know, easier said than done, but I am more than halfway from fake it to make it, so I'm going with it!
I know that time off is hard... believe me, I do. I am sure that I will return to this sounding board to vent about feeling soft, or having restless energy, but we will get through that when the time comes. In the meantime, let's raise a cup of tea to the good life; one that moves through and with the tough stuff.
What is the hardest part of dealing with injury or set backs for you? Do you revert to certain behavior patterns or thoughts?
8 comments:
Though my struggles with weight can't really be considered an "injury", I full heartedly agree with you on making sure your body feels rewarded.
My mood is directly connected to how well I'm treating my stomach, and both undereating and overeating have the same effect. Case in point: I ate way too much Halloween candy on Friday at work, and paid dearly for it.
Moral of the story? Garbage in, garbage out.
you are much too hard on yourself.
don't be so judgemental - food is fuel and exercise is a mechanism to use the fuel ... don't over think it all.
Mel! I always say that input=output and I really believe that is why it is important to know what feels good for YOU. Micheal Jordan ate stake and potatoes before every game, and look at his output! You have been a huge part of my journey. I have to say that your extremely dark chocolate cake with mango coulis (or sauce?) was one of the best "inputs" that ever passed my lips!
Cyndi - hi! The utilitarian view of food is definitely a great way to simplify/approach things and I value that feedback immensely. I, myself, am not a utilitarian when it comes to food (or exercise) and mainly because I tend to take the metaphorical view of pretty much everything in life.. for better or for worse. But you are absolutely right - important not to be hard on myself/ourselves! I'm very grateful for your readership and comments :)
viewing food and body in the present moment...exogenous variables...this sounds familiar!
Notwithstanding the fun that I have dabbling with cooking (in such illustrious company, it would be foolish for me to refer to my modest efforts as anything more than "dabbling"), I lean towards a more utilitarian view of food.
However, over time, I have come to recognize that the truth of it (for me) lies somewhere in the middle.
Intensity is inversely related to duration. Thus, hard, then soft. Discipline, then...laxity.
:)
Just to clarify ... I love food! I am very much into nutrition, eating healthy and I love to cook and experiment. I like to exercise (like, not love hehe) and I like to remind myself to enjoy them both without overthinking! Let's both go easy okay?
hello,
i love finding bloggers from canada!!!
check out my blog:
http://confessions-of-a-runner.blogspot.com/
love the name of your blog!
Hi Aneta,
Thanks for your comment. I certainly will check yours out as well!
Jaya :)
Post a Comment