I need to rewind a bit and tell you that until I moved out west, I'd never tasted a puffed wheat square. Then, one fine day, at my team's bake sale, I happened upon a real beauty of a baked good: subtle sweetness, crisp without crunch, dark but welcoming flavour and absolutely disarming. I brought one home for Manski and that was the end of that. We needed to make ourselves a batch of these.
I've concluded that the wet ingredients, once combined and cooked would make an amazing drizzle for ice cream, rich plain yogurt, cheesecake, etc. My recipe need some improving. I would recommend adhering strictly to the 6c measure for cereal, as I added a little more and it caused mine to be a bit less cohesive than I had hoped. You can see in the photo that there's a bit of a lover's quarrel/crumble going on. Either way, a total flop still produces some delicious output. I'm also adding a pinch of salt to the recipe, because I think it will give the flavour a great edge.
I need to give a shout out to Veggie Prairie Girl for providing the recipe, which I mildy (maybe even wildly) modified.
Puffed Kamut Squares
1/2c butter (I used 1/4c coconut oil and 1/4 butter since I was low on butter)
1 and 1/2 tablespoon cocoa
1 tablespoon vanilla
One pinch of coarse salt
1/3 c agave nectar (stick factor is better with corn syrup I think, but...)
1/3c brown sugar (I used organic muscovado for more "stick")
6c puffed kamut cereal (or puffed grain of choice)
1. Grease 8x8 pan (I used 9x9 and it worked out great) and
2. Dump (or gingerly place) the measured cereal into a bix mixing bowl
3. Combine first 5 ingredients in saucepan and heat until just one brink of boiling
4. Pour wet ingredients into bowl of cereal and mix together until uniformly coated
5. Turn out mix into greased pan and press down until flat, using fingertips
6. Using a spatula/rubber scraper, spank (yes, I said spank) it down until it's well compacted
7. Allow it to cool completely before cutting into squares.
Oh, and pop by Jess' blog The Process of Healing if you're interested in checking out a guest post by yours truly.
8 comments:
that looks wonderful Jaya. Reminds me of Chocolate Rice Krispy squares!
Chocolate Rice Krispy Squares?! I think I've been living under a rock!
Ah, puffies!
Remember me telling you about the yoga puffies (on one leg) and how I used to delight in starting the Tercel and watching the copious clouds of exhaust knock them out of the air mid-flight?
Memories!
(I haven't forgotten, so you better don't!)
I went to "The Process of Healing", read your guest post, left some reflections and wanted to say that your post reminded me of a song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJvq_SRdJYk
That looks GOOD!! And I bet the coconut added a whole new depth of flavor!
Oh that looks so yummy! I'm gonna try that out the moment I get the courage to go back in the kitchen again!
Those bars look so good.
Post a Comment