Friday, May 14, 2010

A Time Capsule

I seem to be having this conversation with so many of my beloveds lately. We ask ourselves how it can be that we thought we had to push our bodies to every unkind corner of discipline before realizing that it wasn't worth it.

My sister. A gifted and extremely well-trained runner.
My good friend. A long-time lifting afficionado.
My friend of a friend. Struggling to do things "right".
Me.

How is it that people who are able to give so much to others are hardly able to give to themselves? What possesses us to believe that there are certain and limited channels to expressing our fitness, our energy and our identities? And what (in heaven's freaking name) has compelled us to believe that we are somehow deserving of anything less than honour, respect and love?

I have a theory. Let me preface this by saying that all of my hypothesizing and contemplation is based on anecdotal stuff, but that my experiences of speaking with others on this topic lends some critical mass to its validity.

My body is a time capsule. Everything I do/don't do gets stored away in its memory. When I eat amazing food and surround myself with incredible people, it remembers and projects out a light that illuminates me from the inside out. When I criticize it and express my dislike for it - or worse, act on my disliking/criticism - it remembers. In fact, it's those repeated criticisms that led me to think that I had to work harder than anyone else in the gym, that I had to restrict myself further than anyone else with my food, that I had to withhold affection until certain performance and aesthetic metrics were met.
Well, like any time capsule, these memories and experiences have been dug up and seeing them now, on the surface, I understand why it is that my body asked - nay - demanded this injury. And though I did not have the courtesy to do so at the onset, I thank it now for dealing me a relatively good card, considering how mercilessly I used to push it.

Lots of us are into regimented training. Whether it's for a road race, competitive/university sports or just for the love of training hard. I think that's awesome, and one of the things I have learned over the years of lifting weights is that I needed to move beyond (silently) criticizing what other people do in the gym and just be really glad that people want to express themselves in an active way. I've moved from admiring the "fittest" looking people ("fit" by contemporary standards) to admiring the older population who swim, walk, lift weights, do tai chi, or whatever it is that keeps them alive and connected to their worlds.

So, when do we make the switch from kicking our own asses because we think we're somehow deficient (this blog may have just moved from family rating to PG) to working hard at what feels good because we deserve it?
At some point, I think that a lot of us realize that we are trying to change ourselves, not because it's a result of how we live and what we do, but because we're trying to make ourselves into something different - something better. Don't get me wrong, the quest to be better is fulfilling and often really constructive, but I think that we need to ask ourselves whether that change arises from a desire to be good to ourselves, or a desire to change a body and person that we feel is ultimately deficient or lacking in some way...

A good friend of mine has been working out at the gym for many years, and recently shared with me his realization that he was trying to heal his injuries in the same environment and culture where they were created. I can absolutely relate to this - it's no surprise that despite being a bit resentful about my injury at first, I felt sick to my stomach whenever I thought about running or lifting weights. I realized that regimented exercise just wasn't good for my health anymore. As my friend so eloquently put it:

"The gym has served me well. But my injuries are a result of having drunk too deeply of that culture, of having persisted in one mind set (and insufficiently different variations of it) for too long and in the face of counsel and protestations from my poor body.
Perhaps it is time to find...another vehicle"

It's so inspiring to see other people looking to more creative, vast and spontaneous venues - not to make their bodies look, feel or perform a certain way - but to express themselves on bikes, boats, swims, runs, through stretching or dancing - however they crave. Ultimately, the way we spend our moments is the way we spend our lives. I don't think I will ever be able to spend my moments doing things to force improvement on myself. I'm so heartbroken at the things I've put myself through in the past. I deprived my body of sleep, entire food groups, rest and expression. I just trained it. I didn't take it out to dinner, I didn't woo it with positive feedback and I don't think it would be entirely a stretch to say that I abused it. These are some of my greatest regrets, but with them comes a sense of fearlessness about all of the new things I can try. Certain foods and experiences feel new to me again. I am finally happy enough with the joy of swimming that I can float in the pool for 30 minutes, instead of lamenting how I look in a bathing suit. This doesn't mean that I don't love testing my limits in everything I do, but it's the intention that drives that desire that needed a fundamental makeover.

We all deserve the best of what we can give ourselves. If we really want to help other people see the genuine goodness in themselves; to lead meaningful and positive lives; to be the change we wish to see, I think that a good starting point is right here, right now, with ourselves.

I write this blog out of a love for writing and creative expression and not for publicity, marketing or even necessarily a response. I would normally not ask this, but because this post stirs immense emotion, passion and necessity, if this post has resonated with even a tiny voice in you, please leave a comment. Nothing generates energy within me than the realization that so many of us need to know that we aren't alone in thinking that we need to be better, look better and are somehow better for the process and outcome of those desires. But you know what? We need to work together. The crisis of our time, in our corner of the world starts at home, in our hearts, in how we treat and regard ourselves.

9 comments:

Ameena said...

The gym has served me well too. I was an avid fan of it for a solid decade. I worked out daily 1-1.5 hours and I'd go into a panic if I couldn't get to the gym for some reason. But I'm done with it now. My knees are in bad shape and I don't want to be there anymore mentally either. I too have drunk too deeply of that culture. You friend is brillant by the way.

As I get older I realize what is important and the gym really isn't. Once I stopped killing myself on the dreadmill I opened up a whole new part of my life. I go outside and walk. Once in a while I run too. I do DVD's. I do yoga. I am SO MUCH HAPPIER and I haven't gained an ounce. If anything I weigh less than I have in years.

Thanks for a great post Jaya. You are a super talented writer!

Anonymous said...

I have hard time deciding if my goal is to be trim and fit or if I want to be a good runner. thank you for this post it's bringing up a lot of reflection for me in my own trials

Jaya said...

Ameena - that's so encouraging. I am really trying to surround myself with people who embrace the fun of the challenge. You look amazing and you have such a strong voice, so you are definitely doing something right! And yes, my friend is insanely smart and cool..thanks!

Summer, as long as you love it, keep doing it! Thanks so much for adding your thoughts. It's so great to hear about peoples' thought processes on this stuff.

Anonymous said...

Jerusalem.

The Holy land.

All of the places, feelings, associations that have inspired the very best of humanity and that, for more than 1000 years, have driven men mad.

A noble and courageous ruler sits on horseback looking at another ruler equally full of courage and nobility.

It is the time of the Crusades. A time of brutal, vicious conflict. The leper king, Baldwin IV, stares across at the Sultan, Saladin Ayyubi. Their peoples are at war but, as they look upon each other, neither sees an enemy.

The King has traveled from Jerusalem to speak to the Sultan. To try to avoid an attack that fanatics, newly minted, from among his own people have brought upon themselves.

The burden of the King's illness weighs heavily upon him and he is too ill to travel. But, many lives are at stake. While he has within him an ounce of strength to exert in the cause of another, his noble heart forbids him rest and comfort. The leper king will broker peace that day.

But the journey, the effort, will cost him his life.

The Sultan, having agreed to terms, watches, carefully, intently. He sees the masked leper King swoon and moan quietly, but audibly. Visibly, obviously, in pain.

Saladin looks at the Ruler who is not his enemy: "I will send you my physicians".

The King lowers his head slightly in a gesture of acknowledgement and thanks. His response is gentle and graceful: "salaam alaikum" (the peace and blessing of the Almighty be upon you).

The Sultan looks and sees. A man. One who is not his enemy.

A raised hand in acknowledgement and a gentle, brief response suffice: "wa laikum salaam" (and upon you be peace).

One person looks upon another, sees who they really are and, because of that, is able to reach out with gentleness, compassion, humanity.

Perhaps this is our problem. When we look upon ourselves, perhaps all we see is a leper. Disfigured. Hideous. Worthy only of being hidden, obscured until the weakness, until the ugliness, until the imperfection can be disciplined, beaten, starved out of us.

No wonder we cannot treat ourselves with compassion. No wonder that the joy, purpose, opportunity for hope and growth that radiate from every moment of life are, for us, so hard to find.

Anonymous said...

I am having such a hard time with change. there is so much thought put into this post and the cogs in my mind are turning to digest it all. thank you so much and I'm glad to share in the struggle with you

Dani Spies said...

Ahhhh... the journey of life. I can relate to everything you write here (so well articulated I might add:)). I am constantly working on the balance of just being and not necessarily needing to be better (which is a real challenge).

I often stop and ask myself why I am doing what I do. Being pregnant helped with this journey because it forced me to slow down and really focus on nourishment - both nutritionally and physically. Nourishment feels good - it is very different then eating to maintain a certain weight (rather shallow goal) or working out to the max to achieve a certain look. It's more of a celebration than a punishment.

This was so much easier for me when I was preggo - but I am definitely making moves in the right direction - sounds like you are too:)

Kristina said...

This is an AWESOME post! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences.
I must admit, rather ironically, that my multitude of injuries as an adult (torn meniscus, broken ankle, torn ACL) did not come from the gym culture but from doing things that were fun and exciting (skiing, mountain climbing and ultimate frisbee). Thus, the irony of it all?
That said, I refuse to stick to a 'safe' routine, to be content in the gym. I will go out and hike and bike, I will be back on the slopes, I hope to one day do a technical climb on a mountain. I will enjoy that my body moves, that it is weak at time but strong at others, that it allows me to have experiences that I couldn't otherwise have.
There are TONS of things to do, as you know and acknowledged here, that can give you an appreciation not only for your body but life in general.
Hope you continue to explore.

Jaya said...

Summer, I'm so glad that you're on the reflection bandwagon. There's so much support for these discussions because we all have these struggles.

Dani, it is so refreshing to hear women talk about health and pregnancy outside of the scope of losing baby weight. I really think your comment goes to the heart of considering the quality of our energy and not just how we use it.

Kristina, that's such a great comment. I love your approach to activity. I am so enjoying just the prospect of being able to explore new adventures. Thank you so much for visiting!

eatmovelove said...

What a fabulous post...very well-written and insightful...it's words like these and people like you that give hope...

God Bless girl.