Rightly or wrongly, I have a pretty outward locus of comfort (still working on that one) but these books have been instrumental in helping me to move through some of the darkest periods in my life. I still consider them my primary reference manuals, in wonderful and woeful times alike. Like a good loose-leaf tea, they take on a different flavour with subsequent readings, and so I treasure every encounter with them. The reason why these books are part of my "toolbox" is because they are resources for me, and especially valuable resources when I feel lost, confused, anxious or unsure of myself. They don't preach or prescribe, but instead, they all provide me with pathways to engage with whatever I am encountering in with a better sense of peace and perspective.
These books are a sample of those that are never far from my heart or sight:
Shambhala: The Sacred Path of the Warrior by Chögyam Trungpa
The Art of Peace by Ueshiba Morihei
Zen in the Martial Arts by Joe Hyams
The Yoga of Eating by Charles Eisenstein
What are your toolbox books? Got any in common?
10 comments:
We have many in common.
Here's one I came across that I'm thinking to add to my "toolbox".
There's one catch.
It's not a book.
http://www.finallyequal.com/
I love books...I should check those out...
I feel like such a failure all the time with eating...seriously...every night when I should just go to bed, I'm back out into the kitchen eating more...oatmeal, chocolate, muffins, veggies', fruit, whatever! ...even if its' a mix of healthy and "bad"...i don't know if it's all in my head or what...i just see so many bloggers who don't do it..and it's getting to me...
is it ever too LATE to fix it??
i've been doing it for years now...and how do I deal with the next a.m...?
I love almost every book I read...my tool box book would have to be "The Fat Flush Plan" because it helped a lot of my stomach problems and my skin issues. I refer back to it all the time!
PS - just in case you enjoy Indian fiction, have you ever read "Madras on Rainy Days?" Not a tool box book but one of my favorites for sure.
Double A, I've actually read that story and I think it would make for an awesome filim! Thanks for sending the link.
EML, I'm not an expert of any kind, but I as someone who can identity with what you're saying, I can offer this: the process of change needs to come from a sense of self-love and wanting what's best for you, rather than discipline (in the sense of hardness) and punishment for actions that you wish to change. Let change come from a fundamental and unshakable belief in your goodness and I promise that changes will come without struggle. I know that's very abstract, but you can email if you want to follow up on this discussion. I know you can do it and no, it's not all in your head :)
Ameena, I love South Asian fiction! Have you read "Unaccustomed Earth" by Jhumpa Lahiri? I think you would really like it. I am going to check out your Madras on Rainy Days recommendation. Thanks!
Cleaver post; I like it! I wish I liked intellectual reads but I've been reading stupid chick lit. gets my mind off the school work I have
Katherine
Katherine, it's all about the reading that you enjoy. I occasionally make a foray into some pretty junky stuff, but these are more like my sanity stash :) I may or may not have borrowed the entire Twilight series from a friend (with some subsequent disappointment...)
WOw...my reading I am afraid has not been too complex of late...but there are books that I cannot part with..
- To kill a mockingbird (Harper Lee)
- The Power of Now (Eckhart Tolle)
- I always loved The Lord of the Rings series.
- so many actually, cannot even begin...
and I notice some of the above comments about eating...that stuff bothers me i admit (particularly when I know the person is slightly underweight and deprives self during day...and then feels guilt for eating...wish she could just embrace it...versus look to others for tips on how to stop eating)...
sorry...my side rant i suppose.
Hey there! I've heard from several folks that "The Power of Now" is a great book. Your endorsement seals the deal - it's on my list!
My partner is a LOTR lover too. We actually have them on books-on-cd to listen to on long drives!
And I also loved "To Kill a Mockingbird". I love that you have fiction and non-fiction in your toolbox!
Your comments really meant alot to me...I'm so lost and confused...not sure what job to take, if I should move...I know the job I should take - stability and secure...I obsess over the early mornings and evening shifts that I don't want...and the inevitable rut I'm going to get into again...I know I need to let it go. But I'm disillousioned and so tired of it...
Hi Jaya - I really loved Unaccustomed Earth but I do think Jhumpa Lahiri's previous books were even better. I wish I could just read all day long and have someone pay me to do it. I would excel in a career like that!
Post a Comment