Although I haven't been doing a lot of exercise (not physical exercise, anyway) lately, I haven't let that stop me from getting out the mountains as often as possible to drink in the inspiring sights and smells of the mountains. Manski hikes every weekend, conditions permitting, and I relish every opportunity to examine the same sights, rendered more and more magnificent with each new moon (no relation to New Moon).
Two weekends ago, we were out at Morraine Lake (no big deal, just one of the most stunning places on Earth) when I realized that the big ol' environment was right where I was. I mean, it's everywhere, but that realization, in it's rational form (think Plato reason but Aristotle forms) was a bit of a delayed encounter for me.

I do the best I can (minimal driving, minimal consumption, etc) to protect the environment, but to be in the presence of glaciers, waterfalls and humbling peaks is to realize that we are (or maybe just I am) treading the grounds of an ancient home. Mountains precede and outlast humans and entire species, and while they may not glitter with summertime snowfall in the middle of busy cities, it is the same set of plate techtonics on which we build our comparatively modest existences.
This type of thinking (in tandem with taking out my Mom's garbage while visiting home, only to find that there wasn't enough garbage to take out) has awoken some praxis-based monologues within me. As a result, Manski and I have decided that in a gradual effort to continually find new ways to respect this great earthly home, we are committing to producing only one bag (that's one plastic grocery bag, and not one big garbage bag) of waste per week. We drop off all of our compost at our community garden, we recycle everything possible, and we ask ourselves if something can be re-used before being tossed.
So far we are two for two, and I want to know, who is up to this challenge? You don't have to use our landmark, but what about endeavouring toward a reduction in garbage that is realistic for your household? Whether it's one bag or three (maybe you have a diaper-wearing member), it's exciting and enthralling to make better use of everything that gets consumed.
Let me know if you are on board, and how you fare. Remember, there is no failing if you are willing to try!
6 comments:
Just for this entry, I am now going to produce four extra bags of garbage a week and burn as many used tires as i can to offset your minimal waste.
Well, you certainly don't lack in enthusiasm!
I apologize for my lame sarcasm in the previous post. I agree a little with you in monitoring our waste. I think it's imperative that we (as consumers) demand a higher degree of sustainable development from manufacturers. For example, the product life life cycle of goods we consume on a daily basis are not well thought out. For example, if one has to take a laptop in for repairs; one of the major faults is the motherboard (the central piece) dying. Most manufacturers say "lets just replace this entire part". More focus needs to be spent on component-specific repair; instead of throwing out the entire part, fix it rather than sending it to the landfill.
I hate hearing about the oil spill right now. Like even mentioning it is upsetting. I've been getting things out of my closet and getting rid of a lot of stuff and I think your garbage goal is so awesome! It would be a great challenge for me when I am back in my college living spot. I'm always amazed at how often my parents run the dishwasher when I go home (at my condo, my roommate and I do it once a week, but the parents do it every day! ah!)
Katherine
10/Ten, I almost got a conclusion of the brain reading this one!
Use simpler words so that we of the unwashed masses don't have to struggle so much!
One syllable, maybe two.
Clap if you have to.
:)
Jaya,
I actually agree a lot with you. I am probably somewhere in the middle - a one-car but two-person household, I walk to work, we don't have children (it's not a popular view, but having children, especially in the US, does put a strain on resources.
It's not an immediate, right NOW goal, but in the next 6-12 months, I'd love to begin to compost and to garden.
I'll let you know how that is going sooner or later...
Post a Comment