Friday, August 31, 2007

Re:al Life

All I can say after 28 hours of training, fitness, video sessions and hockey is that I feel pretty alive these days. This has been an incredible weeek for me. I've posted bests on my beep test, 100m run, learned exciting new skills and met some fantastic girls. I have a grattitude for this experience that warms the very blood that courses through these very busy veins!

I won't pretend that I don't also love the huge caloric demand of this type of work :) I can scarcely believe how much my body is responding to this massive training load. I'm taking care to really hit the low GI carbs peri-workout and I think this is also helping to keep the soreness at bay.

Ice baths, stretching, foam roll, tennis ball, thera band, glute activation, mental training, visualization, mobility drills, warm up runs, taping sticks and limbs... Oddly I'm loving it all! The hockey has been great and I feel very priviledged to play under a coach of such remarkable calibre and alongside girls who truly have a strong sense of teamhood.

Mike has been supplying me with a steady stream of advice on recovery, perfomance and all the rest, so I remain in good hands, to boot! Thanks Mike, for all of your help. I know I've said it 100 times already, but without your help I just would not be feeling and perfoming at this level. I cannot believe that only 1 month ago, I was hardly able to sit comfortably at my desk for a whole workday. Now I'm fit to chase chickens and hula-hoop in my spare time!

I've had a great time chosing my courses and have a lofty goal set out for this year.. more on that in a later post. I am beyond exhausted and need to get some rest. Such a funny feeling to have a second chance at a dream that I thought had passed me by....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, well.

A few years ago, I saw in you promise and potential (this was not a difficult thing to do as, even then, you were brimming with it),

Perhaps it is not correct to say that it existed, even then, as potential. Perhaps it was actualized, developed and waiting to reintegrate itself as part of a more unified, focused, recentred, reinvigorated you.

Fatigue masks fitness, afer all.

But perhaps I'm wrong in both cases. It would not be the first time and it (much to my protestations to the contrary) likely won't be the last.

But, what I wanted to say requires neither speculation as to your past nor presumption with respect to your present.

You are evolving nicely, gracefully with what would appear to be that rare and beautiful combination of intelligence, wisdom, dignity and humility. I am truly pleased for you.

You appear to be truly and deeply happy - loving well and being well-loved. It is a thing much sought after, in this life, and rarely found. That you have found it and are able to savour deeply and revel in the smallest moments of it makes me joyous for you.

Your thought (and, one must presume, the thought process that underlies it) is, along with your writing, becoming more, focused, more linear. Without, I might add, losing any of your wonderful flair for the creative and dramatic. I suspect that if you were to draft something now, that there would be little that I would amend (well...).

It is heartening to see that your spirit has received the warmth and nourishment that it needed to render the hidden, manifest. This, unfolding of you into something more and better was, from my perspective, inevitable. Indeed, where is the wonder in it? Does not the flower require rain and the warmth of the sun to unfold its inner beauty?

I have no doubt that you will contine to perspire and inspire (or, perhaps more accurately, inspire because you perspire).

It is, I suspect, because evolution is part of the unalterable, inalienable you.

What is true is true.