A perfect hit has a particular sound to it. That moment when all of the force in the swing connects with the ball and suddenly all of the power from an exogenous force takes over this little round thing and propels it at light speed toward a target. The feeling associated with a perfect hit is something that exists in a narrow corridor where focus and belief intersect. Though this corridor is small and precise, it is the thin section of your mind where your greatest abilities reside.
I've really been able to find my balance of focus and relaxation this week. I've had a wonderful time meeting all of the girls, playing hockey, demanding the best from myself, and eating/stretching/foam rolling/glute activating/contrast showering.
I am really honoured to play alongside other athletes who really give it their all when they train and actually feel a stronger sense of cohesion, than competitiveness among us.
So, the update:
Monday I posted a personal best on the Leger test (the beep test) which is a multistage fitness test/ 20m shuttle run. I finished 1.5beeps short of stage 11, and know for sure that I will have a stage 12 or 13 finish as my conditioning improves with the season. I also posted very strong sprint times and was am really proud of those results. It's so wierd, this whole believing in myself thing...
I am pretty darn greatful that my tapering week worked its magic!
I think I grossly underestimated my fitness level, but I'm glad that I followed Mike's program so judiciously while I was training hard in the preseason. I just can't say enough great things about my progress and improvements in only 1 months since I started working with him! Everytime I email him a question (which happens a LOT) he always responds with these great, detailed answers and is just so pleasant to work with!
I also want to send a big shout out to everyone who has sent me well wishes (here and via email)! I am so touched and inspired by your messages and can hardly explain how wonderful it has felt to be on the receiving end of such kind words. Thanks everyone!
So, I'm firing on all cylinders and actually feeling pretty damn good considering the massive hike in training volume and intensity this week. I credit a lot of that to solid nutrition, a TON of foam rolling and it seems that crotherapy (ice baths, etc) are my new best friend. Best of all, I just love playing hockey and am pretty sure that even if my name didn't show up on the team list, come Sept 4th, that I'm having a jolly good time just getting out there and soaking in every sublime moment of the experience..
Wednesday, August 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment