Sunday, September 9, 2007

When life hands you lemons...

Make Lemon Rice!

This is one of my absolute favourite dishes. It is so versatile! It's wonderful with tandoori chicken, salmon or even sprinkled into a spinach salad! Tonight I made my first official independent kiddy batch (Mom supervised of course) and it turned out fantastically! I highly recommend using leftover rice for this dish, but I've provided the recipe for a start from scratch. If I can make this, anyone can! It is probably my favourite power/comfort food in one. I'm having this in my lunches this week with tandoori chicken breast and bharta (a spicey roasted, mashed eggplant dish). YAM!

Ingredients:
-1 c brown (basmati) rice
-1 and 3/4 c water
-1/4 tsp turmeric
-1/2 tsp salt
-1.5 T lemon juice

-2T oil (I used olive, but peanut would be awesome too)
-2 dried whole red chilies
-8 to 10 curry leaves
-1 tsp mustard seeds
-handful of raw peanuts (unshelled, skin removed)

Method:
1) Place brown rice, water, turmeric and salt in a large pot, uncovered, and bring to a boil.
2) Cover rice, reduce to low heat and cook for 25-30 minutes, or until cooked. (Slightly al dente is favourable to slightly undente)
3) When done, allow rice to cool for 10 minutes, then add lemon juice.
4) In a separate small pot or pan, warm oil on medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
5) When oil is hot (but not scalding hot!) add chilies, curry leaves, mustard seeds and peanuts.
6) Once the mustard seeds start jumping and popping, add the rice to the oil fun and toss everything around.
7) Email me and let me know how it turned out!

1 comment:

Janet said...

Jaya this looks fantastic! I'm going to have to give it a try!