Sunday, November 25, 2007

Mind over Muffin, Midterm and Monkey Business


I've been doing some pretty wierd stuff lately. Like wanting to eat crunchy cookies dipped in 2% milk, listening to Tony Bennett live, throwing snowballs at brick walls, sleeping on my stomach and perhaps most shockingly - starting papers well in advance of their due date.

Most recently, I wrote a pretty hefty research paper that was a cultural analysis of Gatorade. It was an amazing experience to write this paper; I felt so intellectually aroused by the whole assignment. I've sort of adopted an "I dare you" theme for this semester. I've dared myself to write a review on a book that I normally would normally have classified as too advanced, I engaged in provocative discussions about social relations in one of my essays, I got up close and personal with the library resources and even ventured to another university's library to find what I was looking for! The result has been that the quality of my thinking and writing has really improved. I'm not an A+ student, but I'm related to some! I actually am just really hoping to crack that Academic All Canadian goal.

Nose is healing up nicely, headaches are much more sporadic and I can almost headbang in the car again! I was pretty focused in the gym last week. Though everything is toned down a bit for a realistic, sustainable re-entry in to normal life, I was just SO glad to be back. This week was a little different; I've had some laaaaate nights working on things and I've been struggling a bit with energy levels. But I got my hair cut like Cleopatra and I feel all-powerful and unstoppable again. Ok, maybe not quite, but I do feel like it did something to remedy the remarkable unsexiness that is a broken nose/concussion. So yes, I'm bring sporty back, and maybe sexy too. But in that order.

I can defintely theorize a causal relationship between my waist circumference and the duration of my concussion symptomolgy, but refer back to paragraph 1, sentence 2 for another possible contributing factor.

So, true to my blunt black bangs, I'm as of now:
1) Overcoming my insomnia
2) Reading Calvin and Hobbes more often
3) Posting a recipe for the most fantastic, healthy, delicious muffins!

I'm also currently trying to decide if I'm going to be pursuing graduate studies in Nutrition, or applying to CCNM (Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine). These muffins didn't bring me one ounce of dietary fibre closer to knowing which one, but they are pretty amazing smeared with almond butter when warm.

Special thanks to FoodieFarmGirl whose Back into Bran Muffins are bringing me back in to brain health, buffness and booyakasha.

Back into Bran Muffins (adapted from FoodieFarmGirl's recipe)
2 cups (3oz/86g) wheat bran
1 cup (5oz/141g) oat bran
1 cup (6oz/170g) whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons (12g) baking soda
1 teaspoon (6g) baking powder
1/2 teaspoon (4g) salt
2 large eggs
2/3 cup (5oz by weight/156g) milk
2/3 cup (5-1/2oz/156g) yogurt
1/3 cup (2-1/4oz/65g) canola oil
1/3 cup (3-3/4oz/108g) molasses or cane syrup
1/3 cup (3-3/4oz/108g) honey
1 teaspoon (6g) vanilla extract (optional)


Place oven rack in middle of oven and heat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a standard size muffin pan or line cups with paper liners (which makes cleaning up a breeze).

Combine wheat bran, oat bran, whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl and set aside. Combine eggs, milk, yogurt, canola oil, molasses, and honey in a small bowl and mix well. (Note: you can use all honey or all molasses instead if desired.) Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix with a rubber spatula just until combined.

Generously fill muffin cups with batter. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 to 25 minutes. Cool muffins in pan for 10 to 15 minutes, then carefully remove from pan and serve warm, or let cool on a wire rack.

My modifications:
-I went with 1/4c each honey and molasses
-I also added a ripe banana to the batter.
-I substituted olive oil for canola
-I also accidentally left out 1/3c milk and 1/3c yogurt the last time I made them, and they still turned out fantastic. Maybe just a little on the dry side, but if you aren't serving them to a total muffin snob, you should be dandy.

Fantastic post-workout or just when you need something freaky and fibrous to get your tunny dancing! And to think, society is hating on muffin tops..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My gf is a naturopath and a fitness instructor and half persian and half turkish and a great cook and cute as a button and can squat for reps, with a smile on her face, while piggybacking me. The later being no mean feat as I have about 70 pounds and 8 inches on her.

Me? I look pretty (in part because I now enjoy great deals on all of my nutraceuticals), continue to be gainfully employed and am not stupid.

She is a trooper and willingly tried one 15 min (modified) EDT session of incline dumbbell press supersetted with incline dumbbell row. Her moans of discomfort began prior to reaching the 5 minute mark. At the 10 minute mark she complained that she felt like her wrist was going to break. From 10 minutes to home, she gave up on intelligible speech, prefering short grunts accompanied by high pitched moaning. I watched her suffering with amusement and pride. I gave her gentle and constant encouragement in the spirit of "move it you wuss, you train like a girl" and the timeless "what do you do in those "fitness" classes, eat doughnuts?". I was mightily amused. She, less so. The praise that I expected for my ongoing support and encouragement was not forthcoming. Nonetheless, she was annoyed enough to keep going. Which, of course, was the point. All ended with sweat, smiles, staggering person and supporting of staggering person. Followed by food (we both eat like starved wolves).

What is true, is still true.

Jaya said...

But what about the muffins?
I'm kidding. It's wonderful to hear from you and I'm delighted to know that the contagion of your wit and kind heart are touching new hearts and minds. I have a great EDT resource at my disposal, please feel free to email if you'd like to have a peep. Belated happy birthday and thanks so much for following along...