Thursday, December 6, 2007

Excel.eration.


If you've ever written a physics exam, you'd know that strange aftermath, during which you can't so much as pour a glass of water without theorizing all of the forces, work and gravitational factors involved. Philosophy- and specifically metaphysics- is much the same. This semester has brought me to a new level of inspiration. It may be a snore for most people, but I just feel a stronge urge to share the names and thoughts of brilliant minds that have enabled me to transcend an intellectual frontier in the most delightful way..

I feel as though the more I learn, the more I realize how tiny a piece of the puzzle I have in my hand. There's something that is at once fulfilling and frustrating about knowing that there is no end to discourse, to dialoge and to the deliberative way of being.

In the spirit of reflection and In no particular order, please allow me to present...
5 Hottest theorists and ideas from this semester:

1) Aristole's The Politics.
This is my fourth go at this text, and yet never have Artistotle and I bonded as we have this time around. His overarching metaphor of nature/biology lends this incredibly natural element to institutions as controvercial as slavery and even drive me to questioning the basis of our morality in believing that we have risen above this practice. I believe this to be a horrible act of injustice, but I am awed by my ability to step outside of my own vaccum, if only for a few moments, and consider Artistotle's ideas about how organic and natural slavery is to the household, as the most fundamental pre-political unit. Most notably, his Doctrine of Causality has been a source of endless interest on many bus rides and long walks to and from school. The 4 causes are:
1) Matter (or material)
2) Form (the formal cause)
3) Agency
4) Final/Purpose (or telos)

The interplay between these ideas goes something like this: The telos is the beginning and end product of this process. It informs the agent of the right material and form that the final product must take. The telos is not inevitable, but depends upon the ability of the agent to select the appropriate material with which to generate the form required to fulfill the purpose. This is all still very underdeveloped, but even this skeletal understanding left me breathless for more. My love affair with the Politics has left me with passion and curiousity anew. Who knows, maybe I'll even read Nicomachean Ethics...for fun!

2) Ibn Khaldun's al-Muqaddimah(the Introduction)
When I began to read and learn about this historian and sociologist, I felt as though I was meeting an old friend. He espouses a view on social change that calls in to action a phenomenon he calls "assabiyya". This term has been translated as "kinship", "tribalism" or "social cohesion". Khaldun explores how assabiyya draws people together and likening it to a symphony orchestra, my professor explained that within his framework of a stratified society, all players in the symphony, along with the conductor (Caliph) could play with glory and skill when pursuing the instrument to which they were best suited. Like me (and I'm sure at least one or two others out there) Khaldun was heavily influenced by the works of Aristotle, brought to the Dynastic Muslim world by the great philosopher, Alfarabi. As such, Khaldun engaged with the metaphor of nature as well, in his explanation of the cyclical nature of social change and cohesion:

"One should then take a look at the world of creation. It started out from the minerals and progressed, in an ingenious, gradual manner, to plants and animals. The last stage of minerals is connected with the first stage of plants, such as herbs and seedless plants. The last stage of plants, such as palms and vines, is connected with the first stage of animals, such as snails and shellfish which have only the power of touch. The word 'connection' with regard to these created things means that the last stage of each group is fully prepared to become the fist stage of the newest group."

3)Stuart Hall "Encoding, Decoding".
Stu and I didn't get along very well at first. He was old and british, I am young and still haven't reconciled with my ideas about post-colonialism. But hey, I'm a charitable girl and found that there was some room in my heart for a man with a brilliant theory on the encoding/decoding process that defines cultural production and practices. Hall formed the backbone of my cultural analysis on Gatorade (paper) this semester, as I shyly interacted with his methodolical approach to "semiotic analysis in a social framework". All that really means is looking at a commercial, campaign, ad or product and situating it; historically, economically, and politically. Once you've got that part down, look at it, look through and it render visible the social relations within its imagery and wordplay. For example, I looked at Gatorade and the cultural conditions in which it is marketed, I look at its strategic use of certain ethnic athletes, I deconstructed the meaning of that creepy coloured sweat in its ads and even look at how the shape and colours of the bottles themselves contained hidden symbols that reinforced gender and social hierarchies that exist in its cultural-historical context.

This man is wickedly intelligent. Wickedly!

The final two theorists will have to come in a later installment, as I have been assaulted by a scholastic hangover and am taking the balance of today to recover from a week of extremely late nights, lack of exercise and generally woeful deficiency of fun. Whoa is me!

I will conclude here by introducing the above photo of some really delicious cookies I made last week. I seem to have misplaced the random phone message on the back of which I cryptically scribbled out exoskeleton of this recipe. I will post it one day, I promise! I don't know how they could possibly taste the way they do, given their amazingly healthy constituent elements (that's you, yes you) but who am I to question the inner workings of al cosmos.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recently purchased a documentary about Abu Hameed Muhammad Al-Ghazali and, now that I have had the opportunity to view it, recommend it.

I suspect that you might find it interesting (especially, the singularly erudite interview given by Hamza Yusuf in the "extra features").

At the very least, I do not think that it will bore you.

You know, on a wholly unrelated note, I was taking the subway in to work the other day when an image suddenly (and with great clarity) formed in my mind.

It was the image of a sloth, with 3 teeth (two on top, one on the bottom).

I did not even bother to try and suppress the idiot's grin that spread across my face.

http://www.matmedia.org/zamzam/films_al.html

I also recommend:

Peace, Propaganda and the Promised Land

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCL6WdnuNp4

Distorted Morality

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4054523048548733881

The War on Democracy

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3739500579629840148

A Crude Awakening (the Oil Crash/the Rise of peak oil).

http://www.oilcrashmovie.com/index2.html

Anonymous said...

"constituent".

I just noticed that. Mighty fine word. I use it myself, on occasion.

Glad to see that you're still finding it handy.

Jaya said...

Al Ghazali was a very powerful thinker; thanks for all the links and suggestions!

I had a feeling that darn sloth would come back to haunt me one day!

Anonymous said...

Revenge of the Sloth, indeed.

On a wholly unrelated note, I recently (read: yesterday) stumbled across a stretching protocol that I thought I'd share.

It is most likely that you already know about this, but in the event that you don't...

It's called Active Isolated Stretching (AIS). The hallmark of this protocol is that it adopts multiple stretches of short duration in place of one (or a few) static stretches held for prolonged periods of time.

This "low duration, multiple set" stretching protocol is based on the notion (more than a notion, actually) "that static stretch greater than five seconds actually decrease[s] the blood flow within the tissue creating localized ischemia and lactic acid build up. Ischemia from a static stretch of greater than five seconds potentiates irritation or injury of local muscular, tendonous, lymphatic, as well as neural tissues, similar to the effects and consequences of trauma, overuse syndromes, and metabolic disease states."

Thus, the AIS protocol prescribes multiple "sets" of stretches, where each stretch/"set" does not exceed 2.0 seconds in duration.

This method of stretching is posited to allow "the target muscle to optimally lengthen without triggering the protective stretch reflex and subsequent reciprocal antagonistic muscle contraction."

I began experimenting with various stretches yesterday - doing 30"sets" that were each held for two seconds (one holds the stretch for 2 seconds, returns back to the starting position, then immediately performs the stretch again, continuing for the desired number of sets).

Although TUT per "set" was low (2 seconds) and total TUT was relatively low (it's my habit to hold yoga poses for 3-10 minutes), the stretch was quite deep and refreshing.

Give it a go, if you have not already (you can find demonstrations of the AIS protocol on YouTube).

Peace.