I could be referring to "feminism" or "fish" (or any other number of words beginning with this red-headed stepchild of the alphabet) but either word seems to provoke a twisted-nose "eww, that stinks" kinds of reaction out of some folks. I didn't realize the type of stigma that the feminist movement has incurred until I began exploring scholarly writing on feminism, the state and society writ-large. This course has been quite interesting and though the lectures could be a bit more engaging (though she does try hard, bless her heart!) it demands attentive discourse to areas that are often neglected by mainstream political theorists. The very notion of the state as a gendered concept has put some really crazy and interesting ideas in my head lately about how to resolve some of the socio-historical conditioning that seems to have laid a bedrock of patriarchy within the system.
There's only one solution. Fish. I believe wholeheartedly in the power of good, whole food for vibrant health. Although I do have a few staple supplements that I believe offer a whole host of benefits, there is really only one with which I could not willingly part: fish oil. Don't even get me started on the benefits of Omega-3 fatty acids. But even if you do want to get me started, don't. I have a paper to finish and you've never tested your tolerance for my praise of fish oil, so please, let's just stay friends! Having said this, the only thing better than those big, luminous, golden capsules full of magic is the real deal! Come to think of it, we may have stumbled up on a small fragment of the fountain of youth.
But back to feminist theories about state and society-centered approaches to change. The solution (if you'll pardon that innocent foray up there) is that we need to get everyone eating salmon. I really believe that this recipe not only brings out the glow between people, but the glow in people's skin, too! When our quality of life improves, our brains work better, when our blood-lipid profiles are at their best and when our skin, hair "and fingernails shine like justice" (to steal a line from Cake), can't we just put our differences aside and engage the salmon, which so obviously has more to offer us than the state?
I know what you're thinking: fish oils must be the reason why this girl is able to generate such sophisticated, methodological scholastic arguments. And you know what? You're absolutely right!
I'm going to share a recipe that was first made for me by my sister, Simmi. Now that she has deserted me to go be a towering resident alien in the Philipians, I have taken it upon myself to change things ever-so-slightly to challenge even the most severe cases of resistance to salmon.
Goan Fish Curry
Ingredients:
800g fish (I like salmon)
1 T olive or coconut oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 tomato, roughly chopped
4 green chilies, sliced
1 cup coconut milk
4T water
cilantro, a whole lot, finely chopped.
For Paste:
8 red chilies (dried)
1 tsp cumin seeds
1T chopped ginger
1T chopped garlic
1.5 tsp tamarind paste
1 tsp turmeric powder
10 tsp water
Combine all ingredients for paste in a food processor until you achieve...liquidation?
Rub the fish with turmeric and salt.
In a large, deep pan, heat the oil and sautee the onions until brown. Add the paste and tomatoes and fry briefly until colour just begins to change.
Pour in the coconut milk and water and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium, add the fish, green chiles and salt to taste. Cook about 6 minutes, or until fishes feel firm, baby.
Garnish salmon with fresh cilantro and serve to your wonderful Mom in a candlelit context, over rice, spinach or just by its lovely lonesome.
On the most unrelated note humanly possible, I am completely obsessed with vintage NBA highlight reels at the moment (much to the chagrin of my studies) but it would be criminal of me not to share what passes for motivation round here...Michael Jordan Top 10 Playoff Plays.
1 comment:
Post a Comment