Eyes on the prize. Ear to the Rockies. Nose to the grindstone.
With 3 weeks to go before training camp begins, I find myself in the most unusual situation: off the plan.
That's right, after meticulously mapping out a route to my goal, I have strayed, abstained, elaborated, indulged, overcome. In fact, in these 3 months, I have based almost all of my training on trust in my bodily rythms and used my plan as a guiding structure, rather than a goal-inspired gospel.
The result?
5lb weight gain, minimal fitness improvement and persistant SI joint dysfunction.
NOT!
My body is leaner every week, my fitness level is getting better by the week and despite some stubborn T-spine soreness (mostly from sitting at work/writing essays) I am finally getting through to my glutes and feeling stronger throughout my core.
MR's program still serves as my template and the one structural element that remains the backbone of my every training session is the pre-workout drills, mobility work and static stretching. I have been sprinting up and down hills, sand and soccer fields, stopping to do burpees, push ups(+), glute bridges, planks, slow jogs, bodyweight squats and agility drills.
It's been a bit scary to neglect what I know, to pursue what I believe. What better reward for risk, than success?
Just to recap, here is one of the goals I had set out to achieve this year. I'm not usually one to divulge, but what kind of friend would I be to drag you along on this verbose journey without at least thanking you for helping me realize these goals in the 2007/08 season and school year:
-Dean's Honour's List (A average or above)
This is particularly salient for me, as someone who couldn't sit through a whole lecture in September - forced out by tears anxiety and lack of faith in myself. Now I command my every neuron (of the few I possess!) and have relaimed my education as my own. I sit just below an A+ average, and if I can do it, then goddamnit, anyone can!
-CIS Academic All Canadian (this is yet unofficial, but possibe by virtue of the first..)
-Carleton University womens field hockey MVP (still just thrilled to have played at all!)
-Acceptance (woot!) into HPS program at University of Calgary
-Exceeded my savings goal by $2Gs!
-Read 3 books for pleasure this summer
-Had a coffee date with a friend every week
-Got engaged to Manski (not a goal, but definitely a joy!)
-Banished the voice of doubt
I don't have a defined set of goals yet prepared for this year, but suffice it to say that if I thought this was an exciting year, the last item on that list will propel me into super-goal mode, henceforth.
A hint, you ask? Travel to distant, exotic lands, sports adventures in the making, a colourful party, a new campus and 2 publications.
Congratulations to my best friend, Teen, who just defended a billiant thesis.
She inspires me day in, day out, to courageously venture beyond the restraints of traditional health-care systems and ideologies to discover and reclaim self-care and the right to health as the only acceptable starting point for each individual.
She does not, however, inspire run-on sentences. This is a device of my own making :/
Onward, upward, forward and backward. (Why be only linear, when you can be cyclical, too?
Friday, August 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
10/Ten,
Inspiring and (no doubt) inspired.
Owing to our proximity and intimate knowledge of our own selves, we all have the ability to be our own worst enemies and our own biggest cheerleaders.
Heal thyself, indeed.
Surpassed your own savings goal by 2K? Ah, fiscal discipline. Well done.
Today was the first working weekday ever (if not in a very long time) that I got up before the alarm clock feeling...rested. Got into work early where I proceeded to get a jump on drafting responses to regulators (with an application for exemptive relief still waiting for me to get back to it).
So, this is what "rested" feels like.
Have a great long weekend.
(don't make fun of my SI joint dysfunction - it's like a "poke and joke" - without the joke.
It's not like I had to splurge on a new pair of running socks - your 2 pairs of Running Room socks are still going strong!
The secret to saving money is not in budgeting, or discipline, but in lacking the time to spend it!
You still have those socks?!
Wow. They rock.
So do I!
Jaya, having read this entry, I'd like to say that you are an inspiration to me, as I am sure to many people. If only I could be as diciplined, open minded, and positive as you! Congrats on all of your accomplishments and good luck in Calgary, we will miss you much here in ottawa!
Post a Comment