The beauty of these little beauties is that they can take on infinite incarnations through any variety of dried fruit or nuts you have on hand. I definitely recommend using the best quality of organic (sulphite-free) fruit you can find, as well as the best cocoa your means will afford you. For this particular batch, here is roughly what I used, but keep in mind that you can use dried cherries, gojis, crystallized ginger, dried currants and even apple rings. I love to roll these in hulled hemp seeds, toasted sesame seeds or even chia seeds, but I wanted to use what I had on hand for this batch.
Without further ado, I present a recipe that, along with a great cup of tea, can challenge any bad-day demon.
Dried Fruit and Dark Chocolate Truffles
Truffles:
-1/2 c organic turkish apricots, roughly chopped
-small handful each of organic prunes, medjool dates, and dried mango
-1T (heaping) of raw almond butter (you could use any nut butter you like)
-1/4c almond milk
-2 TB cocoa powder (I used Green and Blacks)
-1T agave nectar
-1TB vanilla (I used organic Madagascar)
-1/2tsp coarse salt
For rolling:
-small bowls of each:
black sesame seeds
cocoa powder
unsweetened, shredded (dried) coconut
Method:
1. Place all truffle ingredients except for cocoa powder, agave, vanilla and salt in food processor. Process until mostly smooth. A few bigger pieces is great for texture.
2. Mix in, by hand, cocoa, agave, vanilla and salt. Add more cocoa if mixture seems too wet.
3. Wet your hands, and grab about a tablespoon worth of the mixture, rolling into a ball, and then coating each truffle with your coating of choice.
4. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours before serving.
These truffles make the best gifts! I love packing them in mason jars with a big string of rafia and attaching a recipe card. They are so packed with nourishment and are outlandishly delicious!
7 comments:
Did you steal the goji berries from Goji-ra? And, if so, did he breathe fire on you (I'm taking liberties so remember - never begin a sentence with "and").
Chia seeds - does that mean you have a nekkid Chia pet lying about the house somewhere?
Ah, my rapier-like wit - I still crack me up.
Must be the Omega 3s.
Are these the same little mounds of heaven once intended for me? The ones MANSKI ate?!
HEE HEE
No, those were little squares of heaven, Ang. Thanks for the reminder; as soon as the season is done, look for a package from me!
Oh my gosh - your little earths sound divine. I'm definitely bookmarking this recipe. CD would love them!
Heather! So happy to see you here! I would definitely suggest trying these with a tiny bit of tahini for a little something unique. I have done them before with 1/2 tahini and 1/2 almond butter. Just jack up the cocoa factor a bit and you are golden! Another one for the tahini arsenal maybe?
Good choice, simple.
YUM!! Those truffles look great. I love working with dried fruits for making healthier desserts!!
~Justine
Post a Comment