Let's take a breather from serious discussions about injury and recovery, from the ethics and politics of food and from anything other than the things for which (apart from a general enthusiasm for life) I get up for in the morning!
I would consider myself a simpleton, but when it comes to chocolate, I eat nothing but the very best I can afford. This means a limited role for mid-range chocolate like Lindt, but my snobbery was caught off guard by what might just be my chocolate bar of 2009: Lindt's Fleur de Sel bar. I first heard of this bar when Jenna raved about it on her blog. I was definitely intrigued, but the bar seemed to elude this Canadian consumer, until done day, when Manski and I were doing our weekly grocery run and picking out our bars for the week (a fun ritual), I came across this little gem!
Recently I've discovered that the cure for what ails ya, (no matter what ails ya)is a drizzle of olive oil. Seriously, once you experience a great finishing oil, you will want to top everything from your dips to your soups to your veggies to your toast! This particular oil is probably a mid-range olive oil. It hails from the land of OPA(!), Plato and Volcanoes and is a delicious finishing touch to everything! Great oils can cost anywhere from around $9 to hundreds. If you ever get a chance to do an olive oil tasting, you can really appreciate that certain varieties of olives (which, by the way, I simply cannot appreciate outside of oils)are more peppery, sweet, bold and rich. There are wonderful olive oils from all across the Mediterranean, from various regions of Italy, the Middle East and North Africa. As for me, I think if it as magical potion. I swear, my hip feels a bit more healed after every spoonful!
Liquid comfort is also something you can shower in. Inspired by my friend Adrienne, I have taken to dropping 2-3 droplets of essential oil into the shower each morning, just soaking in the oils and scents, feeling nourished by the water and the fragrance. Who's silly enough to turn down the opportunity to enjoy a mini-spa every morning?
I've found what's at the end of a rainbow, and it might just be better than gold! This time of year, beautiful rainbow carrots and tomatoes emerge around these parts. Though these beauties won't be around much longer, I do enjoy snacking on them everyday. Sometimes with some homemade hummus, other time with some raw almond butter, and mostly by their sublime lonesome. The colours are beautiful! This picture really doesn't do my lovely carrots justice, but as you can see, the gorgeous orange core is enveloped by what looks like a thick, stunning and vivid deep purple planetary ring.
Piles of books..everywhere. One of the things I love most about Manski is his voracious appetite for books. We are both avid readers, but during school months, I keep up with academic reading with just 1-2 books for leisure on the side.
We have 3 hugh jass bookshelves, but I love finding these little piles all over our home. I feel like it really represents the youthful curiosity, delicious/comfortable silences and constant excitement in our lives.
From our bathroom shelf, to the piles by the bookshelf, and even the small selection on the dresser for pre-bed reading, there is always something to pick up. Heck, there is always something to read while you sip the aforementioned tea, snack on the aforementioned veggies or treat yourself to the aforementioned chocolate!
(Edit: Paparazzi alert! Cassandra Forsythe's book "The Perfect Body Diet" is on my bookshelf. See below! Check out her blog through the link to your right!)
What about you? What are some of the simple (or opulent) pleasures that add some excitement to your day? Anything about your home that you just love?
5 comments:
I am completely with you when it comes to tea ... it seems to make everything more enjoyable : )
Hi Lesley! A good cup of tea is like a warm shower, but without having to take of any clothes!
Burning Patchouli incense while I stretch, post-workout, on a Saturday. Enough nourishment from a post-workout drink to keep me from being ravenous, not enough to take the edge right off.
Sometimes I will open the doors to my balcony to let the breeze in. Other times, I will let the scent accumulate and surround me. It can be very calming, stilling, conducive to being in the now-ing.
Not somewhere in the vicinity but right where I am.
At their best, these scent-filled moments are ones where the mind and body are stilled, the spirit caressed, nurtured, freed. Certain aspects of self are made more fully present. Others are kept from running away.
Thus, I am returned to a more human and humane state of being where all aspects of self are at peace and none at war.
Thus, in a moment, for a moment, I am made whole.
Making tea of any sort .... I love it
Post a Comment