I have been thinking a lot lately about what it means to transcend your physical limitations. When you are an athlete, transcending tends to be equated with personal records and pushing your body beyond where it wants to (and occasionally where it ought to) stop.
But what happens when your body can't be pushed anymore? You pull back. You pull back into your body and inevitably, closer to your heart. In the time you spend closer to your heart, transcending your physicality suddenly means being able to express yourself without so much as bat of the eyelash. And limitations? When you have none to challenge, you have none at all.
I've spent so many years finding my power in all things strong, fast and hard. Pulling inside, away from your body means finding a power in stillness and softness that even the greatest physical feats cannot touch. I have had this power in me all along.
Am I still an athlete? Does it matter? Now when I ask myself, "who am I?", I don't hear the answer, I feel it.
This is what I found after the counsel of my friend, who listened to me cry and let me.
Tuesday, February 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
You are and will always be you Jaya: resilient, brilliant and beautiful.
I read this and thought to myself "Self, this sounds familiar"!
Good girl, you're making progress.
As to listening to you cry, it's not the first time (as you well know) and the Almighty willing, it won't be the last.
Ah, I recognize now these storms before the calms that have, inevitably, lead to your transformations into something so much deeper, richer, freer, more.
I have been honoured to be a shoulder and a witness. I always will be.
But, you already know that too.
Jaya, what can I say. You, as always, are truly amazing. A gift to all you know.
Dear first comment (anonymous),
I must know you! Make yourself known to me (here or by email) so I can thank you for this wonderful compliment :)
AA, I think the post says it all.
AG, I honestly don't think I could travel these journeys without amazing people like you around..
Aww girl, love this!
If you can get through this time, you can get through any storm that comes into your life.
Best wishes love :)
Post a Comment