Sunday, July 25, 2010

City Limits


While the boys were backpacking, my best friend and I spent part of the weekend at her family's home, just 1.5 hours outside of the city. I learned how to ride a horse (let learned = not fall off) and basked in the gorgeous air, endless prairie sky and hours and hours and hours (and hours) of amazing conversations and comfortable silences. There is something to be said for roasted potato, truffle oil and elderflower honey pizza (in which we partook) and the energy of downtown nights, but there is nothing like staring out into the beautiful Canola fields and vastness of the Canadian prairies.

I don't want to inject any more words where photos say it best.
Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Jag and Rett

Canola fields in full bloom

Harley and I

The babies: Chai and Akalena


Me and Riggs right before our ride

6 comments:

Ameena said...

Reading this and seeing your gorgeous photos makes me miss Canada even more!

There definitely is something to be said about the peacefulness and fresh air of the country. Welcome back!!

Megan said...

I loved our weekend together! We had a perfect backdrop for our hours of conversation and fun. Can't wait to do it all over again in a few weeks. Love, Teen

eatmovelove said...

Okay - next time you talk about pizza like that - you must post pics!! Whereabouts in the prairies are you??! Sounds amazing - I used to live in Edmonton for awhile, but wasn't a big fan of that particular city. Although - times change...

Anonymous said...

These are beautiful pictures. I wish I had your photography skills. The main reason that I don't invest in a higher quality camera is because it would be wasted on me...but your pictures are really breathtaking. And the beautiful horses and our gorgeous country don't hurt either! I am from Toronto so I've never seen canola fields and I've spent very little time with horses. I wish I could spend more time in the country! I love horses and I have a longing for some fresh air. Glad you had a good time!

Jaya said...

Thanks for the kind comments - honestly, this place practically paints its own canvas!
EML - would you believe that when I looked up the menu 2 days later, it had changed?! After a year, the amazing potato pizza is gone. Boo. I live in Calgary, but my bestie lives in Edmonton!
SAR - You would not believe how many people with high-end cameras never even get off the auto-settings. It is tragic. I have seen some outstanding point an shoot photography- like, better-than-DSLR-outstanding. Having the good fortune of this camera has really helped me appreciate the beauty that is in every moment. I do love photography, but part of being a good participant means putting down the camera to see things with your own eyes. I'm working on that part!

theemptynutjar said...

i read all your posts (i rarely comment because there is not much of value i can add)...your thoughts, picks and everything...just amazing...would love to go horseback riding with you.