Friday, August 17, 2007

Silicone?! Well, I never..!

There are two things that inevitably make it into my weekly lunch menu each week: Chili and mini quiches. Chili comes to me in darling little used yogurt containers from Manski on Monday mornings after we work out. He wears the chili hat and adorns his cooking in delectable spices and different beans each week! Sometimes chili involves beef, other times chicken or turkey. Did I mention that he also carries a hand lens with him everywhere?

Mini quiches came into my life through another very special friend. Lisa shared this recipe on F-Heit many many months ago, but the simplicity and versatility of these little guys makes them a whole new experience each time I make them! The title of this post refers to the neat little silicone muffin cups that house the batter as it transitions from raw to ravishing!
This is an old photo and a recipe repeat (from elsewhere) but worth sharing for its simplicity and its ability to launch you to the front of the "cool lunches" club at work. Not that I've been trying...

Crustless Mini Quiche Base Recipe (Lisa's from F-Heit)
Ingredients:
2 whole eggs (Omega or regular)
5 egg whites
3/4 c cottage cheese
Salt
Fresh Black Pepper

Vegetables/variations/spices of choice. Try seafood, sauteed spinach and onion, smoked salmon, sundried tomato with feta and sauteed broccoli, roasted peppers and caramelized shallots/onions, etc.

This particular recipe (for me, at least) yields 1/2 dozen mini quiches + 2 small ramekin quiches. I generally reserve the "muffin" quiches for lunches and share the ramekin quiches with Mom while they're fresh. Her favourite combo so far is the roasted pepper/basil/feta recipe.

Method
1. Blend together eggs, whites and cottage cheese until well combined. Add salt and pepper and stir well.
2. Fill muffin cups with vegetable mixture of your choice.
3. Top with egg mixture.
4. Place in preheated 400 degree oven for about 15-20 minutes or until just set. If using a large baking dish cook for about 20-30 minutes or until just set.
5. Let cool then pop out of pan.
Can be stored in fridge for about 4-5 days.
*Can be made in:
Muffin cups lined
Muffin cups sprayed with non stick spray
Silicone Muffin cups no spray no liners
Small ramekins
Large ramekins
Soufle Dish
Large pie plate
Glass baking dish
Individual tin dishes mini
Large tin dish
Cake pan round or square
Large non stick saute pan oven proof
Cast iron pan
Just about anything! Very versatile!

On a completely unrelated note. Well, I guess nutrition and yummy might also make you think of Cassandra Forsythe. Check out Mike Robertson's latest newsletter for an interview with Cass and her views on women and nutrition. She even discusses the most common progress stoppers and nutrition myths that keep women from achieving their aesthetic and athletic goals.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's been three years, and in that time i have yet to stop thinking of the blissful summer i spent with you. I know happiness has found you now and i can finally rest knowing that the universe has indeed conspired to make you happy. I am breaking a promise by writing today, only to tell you that you are forever the better part of me and that i am thankful for it. I only hope that someday, you can forgive me for making a promise that took you out of my life and hope one day, i'll speak to you again and rekindle the dearest friendship i ever lost. Rest easy knowing that i am, superiffic in spirit and in health.

Jaya said...

Sometimes even the best friendships do not evolve in a linear way, and so I am ready with my dancing shoes whenever the time is right!
There is nothing to forgive, I think of you (both) often and have always wished you well. As your friend, I have always wanted to be a positive force in your life, and I understood your reasons probably better than you imagine. I can't thank you enough for reading along and reaching out. I know it took at least a little courage to do so. This also confirms 2 things to me:
1) It's not just Melanie (bless her heart) reading my blog
2) The best friendships in life change shape as lives change, but are always alive.
Whenever you're ready, you know where to find me!

As our buddy Gibran said "let there be spaces in your togetherness..". See? We were just fulfilling the prophecy:)